Grief and fear have settled over the small Victorian alpine town of Porepunkah, where locals are living through daily police alerts, helicopter flyovers and the trauma of knowing two officers were killed in their community. For many, the shock is still raw, and the search for alleged gunman Dezi Freeman only adds to the tension.
Victoria Police confirmed that two people were taken into custody late Thursday, August 28, as the hunt for Freeman, 56, stretches into its fourth day. Detectives and heavily armed officers descended on a property in Porepunkah, arresting a 42 year old woman and a 15 year old boy. They were later released pending further inquiries.
Also read: Twist in Minneapolis school shooting: Shooter Robin Westman mother's chilling connection to location revea
Authorities say the search remains focused on finding Freeman, who is also known as Desmond Filby. Police urged residents to remain vigilant and immediately report any suspicious activity.
Officers used loudspeakers, demanding occupants “come out with nothing in your hands.” The Age reported the woman arrested is Freeman’s wife, Mali, and the property belonged to a friend. Media photographs showed her barefoot and holding a toddler while speaking with police.
The house on Chandler Circuit marked a significant turn in the investigation after days of combing through mountainous terrain near Freeman’s rural property.
Also read: Minneapolis School Shooting: All we know about alleged shooter Robin Westman
Thermal imaging has been deployed to sweep the region, with helicopters from the Special Operations Group and ambulance services crisscrossing the skies. One chopper hovered for hours above the initial shooting scene as loud bangs echoed. Police have not confirmed whether the noises were gunshots or stun grenades.
The extended no fly order underscores the scale of the operation and the continued risk posed by Freeman.
Detective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart were fatally shot, while a third officer was struck in the leg and is recovering in hospital.
Senior Constable Paul Hogan said the outpouring of support has been overwhelming. “It’s overwhelming and my colleagues could not appreciate it more,” he told 3AW.
Also read: Who is Robin Westman? Minneapolis school shooter used gun magazine having 'Kill Trump' 'Nuke India', 'Wher
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said national resources were being deployed to support the Victorian police operation. He described the fallen officers as heroes and praised the bravery of those who continue to search for Freeman.
His family distanced themselves from him in a statement, saying they were devastated by the killings and were cooperating with police. “Decades ago, Dezi detached himself from us in both name and ideology,” they said. “We stand with the brave members of Victoria Police and the families of the murdered officers.”
Meanwhile, Porepunkah itself is near silent. Emergency text messages continue to reach every phone in the area, warning residents of the danger. The pub has closed, leaving only a cafe and petrol station open as locals and reporters speculate on Freeman’s whereabouts.
Also read: Emergency alert issued at University of Arkansas for active shooter. Here's what we know so far
The heavy rain, cold alpine temperatures and rugged terrain of Mount Buffalo National Park continue to complicate the manhunt. With Freeman still at large and the community rattled, the search remains one of the most dangerous and urgent police operations in recent Australian history.
Victoria Police confirmed that two people were taken into custody late Thursday, August 28, as the hunt for Freeman, 56, stretches into its fourth day. Detectives and heavily armed officers descended on a property in Porepunkah, arresting a 42 year old woman and a 15 year old boy. They were later released pending further inquiries.
Also read: Twist in Minneapolis school shooting: Shooter Robin Westman mother's chilling connection to location revea
Authorities say the search remains focused on finding Freeman, who is also known as Desmond Filby. Police urged residents to remain vigilant and immediately report any suspicious activity.
Police target township homes as manhunt widens
The search for the alleged sovereign citizen gunman shifted on Thursday night from dense bushland to the heart of Porepunkah, with police swarming a house linked to Freeman’s family.Officers used loudspeakers, demanding occupants “come out with nothing in your hands.” The Age reported the woman arrested is Freeman’s wife, Mali, and the property belonged to a friend. Media photographs showed her barefoot and holding a toddler while speaking with police.
The house on Chandler Circuit marked a significant turn in the investigation after days of combing through mountainous terrain near Freeman’s rural property.
Also read: Minneapolis School Shooting: All we know about alleged shooter Robin Westman
No fly zone over Porepunkah as helicopters search
A no fly zone has been extended until Sunday night, August 31, across a wide radius of Porepunkah, giving Victoria Police helicopters and drones exclusive airspace to track the fugitive.Thermal imaging has been deployed to sweep the region, with helicopters from the Special Operations Group and ambulance services crisscrossing the skies. One chopper hovered for hours above the initial shooting scene as loud bangs echoed. Police have not confirmed whether the noises were gunshots or stun grenades.
The extended no fly order underscores the scale of the operation and the continued risk posed by Freeman.
Families of fallen officers feel community support
The shooting left two police officers dead and one seriously injured after a team attempted to serve a warrant on Freeman earlier in the week.Detective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart were fatally shot, while a third officer was struck in the leg and is recovering in hospital.
Senior Constable Paul Hogan said the outpouring of support has been overwhelming. “It’s overwhelming and my colleagues could not appreciate it more,” he told 3AW.
Also read: Who is Robin Westman? Minneapolis school shooter used gun magazine having 'Kill Trump' 'Nuke India', 'Wher
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said national resources were being deployed to support the Victorian police operation. He described the fallen officers as heroes and praised the bravery of those who continue to search for Freeman.
Freeman’s radical beliefs deepen shock in small town
Freeman, who changed his surname from Filby as part of his sovereign citizen ideology, has long held anti government and anti police views. His radical stance, which intensified during the Covid 19 pandemic, is well documented in court filings and his online presence.His family distanced themselves from him in a statement, saying they were devastated by the killings and were cooperating with police. “Decades ago, Dezi detached himself from us in both name and ideology,” they said. “We stand with the brave members of Victoria Police and the families of the murdered officers.”
Meanwhile, Porepunkah itself is near silent. Emergency text messages continue to reach every phone in the area, warning residents of the danger. The pub has closed, leaving only a cafe and petrol station open as locals and reporters speculate on Freeman’s whereabouts.
Also read: Emergency alert issued at University of Arkansas for active shooter. Here's what we know so far
The heavy rain, cold alpine temperatures and rugged terrain of Mount Buffalo National Park continue to complicate the manhunt. With Freeman still at large and the community rattled, the search remains one of the most dangerous and urgent police operations in recent Australian history.