Top News

'Real reason' Prince William and Kate will never live at Buckingham Palace
Reach Daily Express | August 30, 2025 8:39 AM CST

Prince William and Princess Kate are set move into the eight-bedroom Forest Lodge by the end of the year, three years after they first moved to Windsor. The couple, who currently at Adelaide Cottage with their children, are reportedly keen on making the move their last - with the couple hoping that Forest Lodge will be their "forever home".

The couple's three children - Prince George, 12, Princess Charlotte, 10, and seven-year-old Prince Louis - will likely see in their teenage years and beyond at Forest Lodge. As well as their current home, the family-of-five also have Anmer Hall, their ten-bedroom home on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, and an apartment in Kensington Palace for official entertaining.

With the news earlier this month about the family's upcoming move, fans wondered why the Prince and Princess of Wales wouldn't want to move to Buckingham Palace - and whether they would ever move there.

Speaking to HELLO!, royal biographer and Editor-in-Chief of Majesty Magazine Ingrid Seward said: "William was never going to move into Buckingham Palace."

Explaining the reason behind this, she added: "He has never had any fondness for it, and he probably hasn't spent much time there.

"The Queen and Prince Philip were devastated when they had to move out of Clarence House; Winston Churchill told them that the Queen had to live in a palace.

"But that was then, and this is now. Maybe Buckingham Palace will open to the public all year round, rather than only in the summer, and they will use Windsor Castle for banquets."

The new location of the family's new home will mean that the "hands-on" parents will still be able to do the school run for George, Charlotte and Louis.

The young royals currently all attend Lambrook School, which is located a short distance from both Adelaide Cottage and Forest Lodge.

George - who turned 12 last month - will be moving to a different school in September 2026 as Lambrook School only caters for children until the age of 13.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK