Top News

'I've known Andrew for years - I know one big mistake he'll be regretting'
Reach Daily Express | February 21, 2026 4:39 AM CST

Former BBC Newsnight host Emily Maitlis has spoken out once again following Andrew Mountbatten-Windor's arrest at Sandringham on February 19th. He was arrested over allegations of misconduct in public office after information was shared from the Epstein Files. Andrew had previously addressed his connection to the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in a now-infamous Newsnight interview.

Emily questioned him back in 2019, and the TV moment led Andrew, who has continuously denied any wrongdoing in relation to their relationship, to step back from his royal role days after the interview aired. Discussing Andrew, Emily said on LBC on February 20: "Part of my brain thinks that the interview was six years ago. You know, it was a long time ago. So in a way, we've all kind of been at the point of expecting something to happen.

"But I think what we are learning is actually how critical the release of the Epstein files has been to all this because allegations of sexual abuse are notoriously hard to prove. I mean, isn't that the pain that, you know, so many of the victims have had right the way through that they have not been believed or they've not been listened to or they've literally been called liars and they've been called frauds and they've been called money grabbers."

"It's really curious, actually, going back to that Sky Roberts [Virginia Guiffre's father] interview. I asked him if he felt it was kind of weird that all the focus had been on you know, the fraud or the alleged, you know, the allegations of white collar crime, rather than sexual abuse. Emily then revealed what she thought Andrew's biggest mistake was, as she said: "And you know, his take was it's better to have a trail of something going somewhere than nothing at all."

Meanwhile, it has been reported that the government will be considering introducing legislation to remove Andrew from the royal line of succession, but Sky News reports that this would only happen once the ongoing police investigation into the former duke has concluded.

Andrew is currently eighth in line to the throne, behind Prince William and his three children, and Prince Harry and his two children. He has denied any wrongdoing.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK