Top News

Rs 20 crore additional grant sanctioned for Kudremukh rehabilitation: Minister Khandre
Udayavani | May 18, 2026 2:40 PM CST

Mangaluru: Karnataka Forest, Ecology and Environment Minister Eshwar B. Khandre said an additional grant of Rs 20 crore has been sanctioned for the rehabilitation of families voluntarily relocating from human settlements inside the Kudremukh National Park.

He was speaking after inaugurating a two-day Karnataka Cashew Fair and workshop organised jointly by the Karnataka Cashew Development Corporation and the Forest Department at Kadri Park on Sunday.

During the programme, compensation cheques worth Rs 2.80 crore were distributed to five families who had applied for voluntary relocation from Kudremukh forest areas, including Kerekatte, where two persons were killed in elephant attacks a few months ago.

The minister said 350 families from the Kudremukh National Park area had already been relocated after receiving compensation. Another 300 families have applied for voluntary relocation.

He said the department currently has Rs 17 crore available and the amount would be distributed within a month to those willing to move out voluntarily. Compensation for the remaining families would be provided in phases.

“For this purpose, a demand for Rs 100 crore has been submitted to the Chief Minister this year,” he said.

Jobs given to affected family members

Khandre said families of people killed in wildlife attacks were being given compensation of Rs 20 lakh.

Referring to the recent elephant attack incident at Mudabi in Kerekatte, he said two members of the affected family had been provided jobs in the Forest Department on a contract basis after considering their condition.

Elephant task force and command centre launched

The minister said an elephant task force had been sanctioned for Dakshina Kannada district and 25 personnel had been trained.

“They will respond within half an hour. A command centre has been started and railway barricades are being installed. Steps are also being taken to ensure that wild animals in forests do not face shortage of water and food,” he said.

Strict implementation of trekking SOP

Khandre said instructions had been issued for strict implementation of the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) prepared recently for the safety of trekkers.

He said encroachments on forest land were being cleared and officials had been instructed to prevent waste from entering water sources. Industries releasing waste into water bodies would be served notices and their licences could be cancelled, he added.

The minister also said officials had been directed to conduct surveys related to deemed forest areas without causing inconvenience to farmers.

During the programme, trek passports, trek guide manuals and first-aid kits for nature guides participating in trekking activities were distributed.

A camper vehicle for Shola Safari in the Kudremukh wildlife zone was also flagged off. Cashew farmers were felicitated during the event.

MLA Vedavyas Kamath presided over the programme. MLAs Umanath Kotian, Ashok Kumar Rai, Rajegowda and Ivan D’Souza were present along with Deputy Commissioner Darshan H.V., former ministers Ramanath Rai and Abhayachandra Jain, Coastal Development Authority chairman M.A. Gaffoor, former MLA Shakuntala Shetty, Shalet Pinto, Vishwas Kumardas, Dr M.P. Srinath and Sadashiva Ullal.

Mamatha Gatti welcomed the gathering and Manjula Shetty compered the event.

Rs 1 crore for cashew nursery

The minister also announced that quality cashew saplings would be distributed at subsidised rates to increase cashew production in the state.

He said Rs 1 crore would be sanctioned to start a nursery for this purpose.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK