Most Britons back a ban on political donations, a poll commissioned by Labour donor Dale Vince has found. If a referendum on political donations were held tomorrow, 71% of people said they would support banning them altogether, compared with just 29% who would oppose such a move Green energy boss Dale Vince said: "If you talk to politicians about public funding for politics, they'll tell you the public don't want it. Turns out, they're out of touch.
"Our polling shows a clear and overwhelming appetite from the public to fix what's become a running sore in British politics - the corrosive influence of big money. Two thirds of people support public funding and an end to private influence, whether real or perceived. People are fed up with the suspicion, the access, the sense that political decisions are being shaped by donors rather than the national interest."
Mr Vince added: "This is a chance to properly clean up politics, once and for all. And the cost? Less than the price of a packet of crisps per person per year. A tiny price to pay to make sure politicians work for the country - not their biggest donors."
The entrepeneur, owner of electricity company Ecotricity, has donated more than £5 million to Labour or its politicians.
Amongst 2024 voters, 60% of Reform UK voters would back a ban on donations and 58% of those intending to vote Reform now would back a ban.
The survey included more than 2,000 adults and was conducted by Survation on behalf of Mr Vince's new media platform Babelfish.
It comes as Nigel Farage faces further calls for "transparency" over a £5 million gift from a Reform UK donor following reports questioning his claim he bought a house using the fee from a reality TV appearance.
The Reform leader was reported last week to have bought a £1.4 million house with cash in 2024, shortly after receiving the gift from Thai-based billionaire Christopher Harborne.
Mr Farage has insisted the gift was unconnected with the purchase of the house, which a party spokesperson said had been funded by his fee from appearing on ITV's I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here in 2023.
But analysis of Mr Farage's company accounts, reported by the Financial Times, showed they were "not consistent" with his claims the fee from the reality show was used to purchase the property.
Mr Vince said: "Rather than dance around this issue from year to year, playing 'whackamole' trying to close the latest loophole in donations, the very latest being crypto - a ban on all donations is a simple, clear and enduring approach. No donations means no loopholes. As well as no influence."
Political parties will be banned from accepting donations in cryptocurrencies, Sir Keir Starmer announced in March, after the measure was recommended in a review of foreign financial interference.
The Government will also cap donations from UK citizens living abroad who are still on the electoral register.
-
Lump Sum Investment: What is a Lump Sum Investment? Learn Where to Invest for Higher Returns

-
Silver Prices Crash Again: Silver Becomes ₹10,000 Cheaper in Just 2 Days Across Major Indian Cities

-
Gas Subsidy Check: Verify Through Your Mobile Number in Minutes and See if the Subsidy Amount Has Been Credited

-
ITR Filing 2026: Salaried Taxpayers Should Wait Until June 15 or Risk Tax Notices

-
Platinum Prices Stay Unchanged on May 20 as Demand Rises Amid Expensive Gold Rates
