Top News

Rubio says a Hormuz tolling system would make Iran diplomatic deal unfeasible
Reuters | May 22, 2026 1:38 PM CST

Synopsis

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio declared that Iran's proposed toll system in the Strait of Hormuz would make diplomatic deals impossible. He described the plan as unacceptable and illegal, posing a threat to the world. Rubio also indicated some progress in talks with Tehran regarding the US-Iran conflict, though he cautioned against excessive optimism.

Rubio says a Hormuz tolling system would make Iran diplomatic deal unfeasible
A diplomatic deal ​between the United States and Iran would be unfeasible if Tehran implemented a tolling system ‌in the ⁠Strait ⁠of Hormuz, U.S. Secretary of State Marco ​Rubio told reporters on Thursday.

"No one in ​the world is in favor of the tolling system. It can't happen. ​It would be unacceptable. ⁠It would ‌make a diplomatic deal ​unfeasible ​if they were to continue ⁠to pursue that. So it's a threat ​to the world if they ​were trying to do that, and it's completely illegal," Rubio said. He also told reporters there had been some progress in talks with ‌Tehran to end the U.S.-Israeli war on Iran, but that Washington ​was dealing ​with "a ⁠system that itself is a little fractured."

Also Read: Marco Rubio to visit India from May 23-26 to further cooperation in fields of trade, defence and energy


"There's some good signs," Rubio said. "I don't want ​to be overly optimistic ... So, let's see what happens over the next few days."


READ NEXT
Cancel OK