Top News

Thomas Tuchel expresses surprise over Harry Maguire’s reaction to England World Cup exclusion
Rohan Mehta | May 23, 2026 12:34 AM CST

Manchester United defender Harry Maguire admitted he was “shocked and gutted” after being unexpectedly left out of England’s World Cup squad, a decision that has drawn reactions from his family members as well.

England manager Thomas Tuchel revealed he was “surprised” by Maguire’s strong public response following his omission from the 26-man squad for this summer’s World Cup in North America, which was officially announced on Friday morning.

Maguire, along with players like Cole Palmer and Phil Foden, was one of the most notable absentees from Tuchel’s list. News of his exclusion had already surfaced on Thursday evening, ahead of the official announcement, after the defender confirmed the development himself in a talkSPORT interview and through a social media post.

In his statement, Maguire wrote: “I was confident I could have played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had. I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision.” He added, “I’ve loved nothing more than putting that shirt on and representing my country over the years. I wish the players all the best this summer.”

Following his comments, Maguire’s mother, siblings, and wife publicly criticised Tuchel’s decision to exclude the 66-cap centre-back, one of England’s most seasoned defenders, who has featured in three major international tournaments.

The 33-year-old had only recently returned to the national setup after an 18-month absence, featuring in friendly matches against Japan and Uruguay in March. However, Tuchel had made it clear then that Maguire was fifth in the pecking order among centre-backs. For the World Cup, the manager opted instead for Marc Guehi, John Stones, Ezri Konsa, Dan Burn, and Jarell Quansah.

Speaking at a press conference at Wembley on Friday, Tuchel said, “I was a bit surprised,” when asked whether he understood Maguire’s public reaction. “But I respect his personality a lot, I respect his quality a lot. He had an outstanding season, and I can understand why he’s disappointed.”

Tuchel continued, “Still, I was surprised because we had a private conversation where he had the opportunity to share his thoughts, which he did. That was absolutely fair, and I completely understand his reasons for wanting to be in the squad.”

Explaining his decision further, Tuchel said, “We decided to stand by the central defenders who carried us through September, October, and November. Some of them form part of the leadership group that took responsibility and set high standards. The final decision was for these 26 players, even if it feels harsh on certain individuals.”


READ NEXT
Cancel OK