Top News

Gio Reyna set to make USMNT's 2026 World Cup squad, Diego Luna misses out
Arjun Pillai | May 23, 2026 3:55 PM CST

Gio Reyna has reportedly earned a place in the United States men's national team squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, while Real Salt Lake midfielder Diego Luna has been left out. According to early reports, Reyna will join players like Matt Turner, Sebastian Berhalter, Brenden Aaronson, and Mark McKenzie in the initial selection. Meanwhile, Luna’s club teammate Zavier Gozo has also been omitted from the final list.


What’s the story?


The USMNT players were briefed about their World Cup status last Friday, ahead of the official roster reveal scheduled for Tuesday in New York. Although the squad can still be modified until June 1, head coach Mauricio Pochettino has put together a preliminary 26-player list expected to represent the U.S. this summer, barring any injuries.


As reported by The Athletic, Borussia Monchengladbach’s attacking midfielder Reyna is among the 26 selected players. Despite logging just 509 minutes of playing time this season, Pochettino is said to have described Reyna as a “special” player, with his creativity and technical ability earning him the nod for the World Cup campaign.


Reyna is joined by Sebastian Berhalter, son of former USMNT manager Gregg Berhalter, along with 2022 World Cup veterans Brenden Aaronson and Matt Turner. Defender Mark McKenzie, who narrowly missed out on the final roster during the previous cycle, is also included this time around.


Luna and Gozo left out


Diego Luna’s omission has come as a surprise to many, as the Real Salt Lake star had been one of the standout performers under Pochettino’s tenure. The 21-year-old featured in 17 of 18 matches for the USMNT in 2025 but sat out the March camp due to injury. So far this season, Luna has registered four goals and three assists for RSL in Major League Soccer.


This marks another setback for Luna at the international level. He was previously excluded from the U.S. Olympic squad for the 2024 Games in Paris, despite being widely tipped to play a leading role.


His teammate Zavier Gozo, aged 19, had been included in the preliminary World Cup roster but was considered an outside chance to make the final cut. Despite an impressive start to his MLS season, Gozo also missed out on the final 26-man squad.


Reyna’s inclusion a nod to raw talent?


Even though Reyna has struggled for minutes at Borussia Monchengladbach, his natural ability and potential appear to have convinced Pochettino. The 23-year-old midfielder has made 19 league appearances this season, scoring one goal across 520 minutes, and impressed with his creativity during USMNT friendlies in November.


Pochettino had earlier highlighted the importance of consistent playing time when it came to national team selection. However, he also acknowledged Reyna’s exceptional talent and unique qualities.


“He’s a special player. He’s a very talented player,” Pochettino had said. “That is why we need to be open and supportive – even if he hasn’t played much – because he’s been through injuries. Now that he’s regaining fitness, his presence can serve as a motivational boost for him and for us. That’s important for the team.”


What’s next?


The official USMNT roster will be unveiled on Tuesday afternoon in New York. Following the announcement, the team will travel to Atlanta for a pre-World Cup training camp. The preparation period will include friendly matches against Senegal in Charlotte and Germany in Chicago before the United States face Paraguay in their tournament opener on June 12.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK