Top News

Rubio and Bessent Stayed on Air Force One Decoy as Trump Secretly Switched Planes
Sandy Verma | August 14, 2026 2:24 PM CST

Rubio and Bessent Stayed on Air Force One Decoy as Trump Secretly Switched Planes/ TezzBuzz/ WASHINGTON/ J. Mansour/ Marco Rubio and Scott Bessent remained aboard an apparent decoy flight from Turkey while President Donald Trump secretly transferred to another aircraft. A senior U.S. official said Rubio knew about the reported Iranian threat and plane switch, while Bessent was likely aware. The security operation has raised questions because both Cabinet secretaries hold senior positions in the presidential line of succession.

President Donald Trump talks to reporters after arriving on Air Force One Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2026, at Joint Base Andrews, Md. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

Quick Look

  • Trump secretly changed aircraft after the NATO summit in Turkey.
  • Rubio and Bessent remained aboard the older Air Force One used as an apparent decoy.
  • Rubio reportedly knew about the switch and the threat behind it.
  • The official believed Bessent was probably aware but could not confirm it.
  • Trump was moved to a smaller military aircraft through an airport catering vehicle.
  • Journalists and some staff believed the president remained aboard Air Force One.
  • The operation followed concerns about a possible Iranian assassination attempt.
  • Trump had arrived in Turkey aboard a retrofitted aircraft gifted by Qatar.
  • Security officials decided not to use that jet for the first segment of his return.
  • Trump said he followed instructions from the Secret Service and military.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio waves as he boards a U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III transport aircraft at Bahrain International Airport after his visit to the Middle East, in Manama, Bahrain Thursday, June 25, 2026. (Eric Lee/Pool Photo via AP)
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent testifies on his agency’s proposed budget estimates for fiscal year 2027 at a Senate Appropriation subcommittee, at the Capitol in Washington, Wednesday, April 22, 2026. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

Deep Look

Rubio and Bessent remained on decoy flight

Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent remained aboard what effectively became a decoy aircraft when President Donald Trump secretly switched planes after last month’s NATO summit in Ankara, Turkey.

A senior U.S. official said Wednesday that Trump was transferred to a smaller military jet because of a reported Iranian threat.

Rubio and Bessent, the two most senior members of Trump’s Cabinet, continued the flight aboard an older-model Air Force One while the president traveled separately.

The official had been briefed on the security operation and spoke on condition of anonymity because the details involved sensitive presidential travel arrangements.

Rubio knew about threat and aircraft switch

The official said Rubio was aware that Trump had been transferred to another aircraft.

As secretary of state, Rubio also knew details about the threat that prompted security officials to change the president’s travel arrangements.

The official could not or would not explain why Rubio stayed aboard the decoy plane despite knowing that Trump was no longer traveling with the main White House party.

Bessent was likely aware of the change as well, the official said, although the official could not confirm his knowledge.

Top officials hold places in succession line

The presence of Rubio and Bessent on the apparent decoy aircraft drew attention because of their positions in the presidential line of succession.

Under the Constitution and federal succession law, the secretaries of State and Treasury follow the vice president and the top-ranking members of the House and Senate in the order for assuming presidential authority.

Rubio, as secretary of state, is the highest-ranking Cabinet official in that succession order. Bessent follows immediately after him as treasury secretary.

Their continued presence aboard the aircraft publicly presented as Air Force One meant that two senior potential presidential successors remained on the flight while Trump was secretly moved elsewhere.

Presidential protections exceed Cabinet security

The official emphasized that security precautions for the president are substantially more extensive than those provided to Cabinet officials.

That distinction is especially significant for Trump, who has been the target of several assassination attempts.

The Secret Service and military may therefore have determined that the reported Iranian threat required an extraordinary operation focused specifically on removing the president from the anticipated route and aircraft.

It remained unclear whether officials considered moving Rubio or Bessent as well, or whether keeping them aboard was part of the deception.

Trump arrived aboard Qatari-gifted aircraft

Trump traveled to the NATO summit in Ankara aboard a newly retrofitted aircraft gifted to the United States by Qatar.

The luxury plane had been painted red, white and navy blue and inaugurated as the newest presidential aircraft.

Before leaving Turkey, however, Trump announced that he would use an older, baby-blue Air Force One for the first part of his return journey.

The president publicly explained that the Qatari-gifted aircraft would depart Ankara ahead of him so American troops stationed in eastern England could view the new plane.

That explanation concealed the additional aircraft switch that security officials carried out after Trump appeared to board the older presidential jet.

Trump transferred through catering vehicle

The Washington Post reported that Trump was not aboard the older Air Force One when it flew from Turkey.

After entering the aircraft in view of cameras, he was reportedly moved into an airport catering vehicle of the type normally used to load meals and supplies.

The catering vehicle transported Trump discreetly to a smaller military jet.

The president then flew separately to Britain while the older Air Force One departed with Rubio, Bessent, reporters, White House employees and support personnel aboard.

The operation created the appearance that Trump remained on the more recognizable aircraft.

Reporters believed Trump was aboard

The journalists assigned to the White House traveling press pool were not told that Trump had left the plane.

Some White House staff members also believed they were traveling with the president as the flight began its journey from Ankara toward Washington.

The ruse preserved the illusion that Air Force One was carrying Trump and could have diverted attention from the smaller aircraft.

The White House maintained the secret after the immediate threat had passed, and the operation remained undisclosed for weeks.

Intelligence raised concern about possible Iranian attack

The New York Times and CBS News reported in July that intelligence officials had warned of a possible attack against Trump or his aircraft.

The intelligence prompted additional security measures during the president’s return from Turkey.

It also contributed to the decision not to use the newly inaugurated Qatari-gifted plane for the first stage of the journey.

The Washington Post later reported that the concern involved a possible Iranian assassination plot and that the security response extended beyond simply replacing the Qatari aircraft with the older Air Force One.

Qatari aircraft faced protection questions

The decision not to use the Qatari-gifted plane initially raised questions about whether the new aircraft possessed the same defensive systems as the traditional Air Force One fleet.

Older presidential jets contain specialized missile detection, electronic countermeasures and other classified protections.

Reports indicated that the retrofitted Qatari aircraft lacked some of those capabilities.

The subsequent disclosure that Trump traveled aboard a third aircraft showed that security officials were concerned not only about the new plane’s protections but also about the possibility that an attacker could target the expected presidential flight.

Air Force One served as apparent decoy

By allowing the older presidential plane to leave Ankara with senior officials and the press pool aboard, security personnel created a convincing decoy.

The aircraft carried the appearance, communications profile and traveling entourage ordinarily associated with the president.

Rubio’s presence may have enhanced the credibility of the deception, although officials have not said whether that was intentional.

Keeping the operation secret from most passengers also reduced the number of people who could inadvertently disclose Trump’s true location.

However, the decision exposed those aboard the decoy flight to whatever danger security officials believed might threaten the president’s expected aircraft.

Trump later acknowledged the transfer

Trump publicly confirmed the aircraft switch late Tuesday while speaking to reporters at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland.

He said the decision belonged to the agencies responsible for his protection and that he complied with their instructions.

Trump did not provide further details about the threat, the alternate plane or the decision to leave senior Cabinet members aboard the decoy.

Questions remain about operation

The new information about Rubio and Bessent adds another layer to the unusual security maneuver.

Officials have not explained why the two Cabinet secretaries remained on the aircraft, whether their presence was essential to the deception or what they were told about the risks.

It is also unclear how authorities assessed the threat to the apparent decoy compared with the smaller military jet carrying Trump.

The White House has not provided a full timeline showing when the aircraft switch was ordered, who approved it or which officials knew the president’s actual location.

Disclosure renews transparency concerns

Presidents have previously used decoy aircraft and secret routes when traveling through dangerous areas.

What distinguished the Turkey operation was the decision to separate Trump covertly from his press pool and maintain the deception after the flight concluded.

The presence of Rubio and Bessent aboard the apparent decoy also raises questions about continuity planning during a potential attack.

The operation successfully moved Trump without public disclosure, but it left unresolved concerns about the risks to other passengers, the secrecy surrounding the president’s location and the status of senior officials in the line of succession.

More on US News


READ NEXT
Cancel OK