Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday (August 17) said the security forces dismantled an alleged Pakistan-backed terror network ahead of Independence Day and arrested more than 200 people linked to the group.
Shah, in a post on X, further stated that the government had disrupted the terror network and prevented plans for subversive attacks ahead of August 15.
“Modi govt destroyed the ISI-backed terror group Shahzad Bhatti Network ahead of Independence Day and thwarted its plans for subversive attacks by arresting more than 200 operatives,” stated Shah.
Multi-state operation targets network
Elaborating further, the Union Home Minister said that coordinated operations were conducted at multiple locations across 14 states. He described the action as an example of the government’s stated zero-tolerance policy towards terrorism.
“Indian security forces ripped apart the network by launching coordinated operations across different locations in 14 states upholding a brilliant example of India’s zero-tolerance towards terrorism,” he added.
According to Shah, security agencies recovered a range of weapons and surveillance equipment during the operations. The seizures included improvised explosive devices, grenades carrying Pakistan Ordnance Factory markings, pistols, live ammunition and CCTV cameras.
Weapons, CCTV cameras recovered
Shah further stated that the network received funding and direction from ISI and had been involved in terrorist activities.
“Substantial recoveries, including IEDs, grenades bearing Pakistan Ordnance Factory markings, pistols, live cartridges, and CCTV cameras used for espionage, were made from the ISI-funded group. The network was involved in several terrorist activities,” he added.
Also Read: ‘Fold your hands and apologise’: Shah attacks Sonia over Vande Mataram row
According to a government statement, the Shahzad Bhatti Network (SBN) is a Pakistan-based terror syndicate linked to grenade, IED and petrol bomb attacks and targeted killings across India.
It further stated that the SBN has also been paying local conduits to recce police, defence and religious sites, and to install CCTV cameras for espionage.
NIA probes Bhatti-linked cases
The NIA is probing multiple cases against Bhatti, including an alleged link to the March 2025 grenade attack at the residence of social media influencer Roger Sandhu in Jalandhar, Punjab.
Also Read: Asking Amit Shah to resign: Why it is Congress’ boldest gambit yet
In April 2026, the NIA had chargesheeted Bhatti as an absconder, and one other accused in the case. It has also found that Bhatti had masterminded the November 2025 explosion at the Women Police Station, Sirsa, Haryana and the January 2026 blast at Baldev Nagar police station in Ambala, Haryana.
In the Sirsa case, the NIA had chargesheeted nine individuals, including Bhatti and another Pakistan-based handler Sohail Ahmad alias Sohail Baloch, in May 2026.
The Baldev Nagar police station case relates to a car bomb explosion, in which one arrested accused was found to have been in touch with Bhatti.
Over 200 arrests across 14 states
“To counter SBN-linked disruptions planned around Independence Day, a coordinated multi-state operation was carried out on August 12 using a real-time intelligence-sharing system with State Police forces,” the statement said.
Over 200 arrests were made during the operation in 14 states, including Uttar Pradesh (62), Haryana (52), Delhi (51), Punjab (44), Rajasthan (15), Maharashtra (8), Uttarakhand (5), Karnataka, Gujarat and Bihar (3 each), and Telangana, Himachal Pradesh, J&K and Kerala (2 each) with fresh FIRs registered in Delhi and Karnataka.
Also Read: Vande Mataram echoes at Red Fort for first time during 80th Independence Day celebrations
“Cumulatively, over 80 FIRs and 200-plus arrests have been recorded against SBN under UAPA, BNS, the Arms Act, NDPS Act and Explosive Substances Act,” it said.
The statement said recoveries include IEDs and grenades bearing Pakistan Ordnance Factory markings, confirming the network’s direct cross-border links.
“Security agencies reaffirm the Government of India’s zero tolerance for cross-border terror and continued coordinated action to dismantle SBN’s networks nationwide,” it said.
(With agency inputs)
-
India Beat Pakistan 5-3 In Hockey World Cup After 16-Year Wait

-
UP's Apratim Bhadauria Earns India U-17 Volleyball Team Spot, Set For Qatar World Championship

-
Ileana D'Cruz Flaunts Greys In Her Recent Picture With Son; Fans Say, 'Please Come Back To Acting'

-
Samay Raina touched my feet: Sunil Pal

-
Football icon Roberto Carlos converts to Islam: Reports
