Top News

‘He is unbelievable’ - Michael Owen says Man Utd should have signed £60m Chelsea star Joao Pedro
Sameer Bhatia | August 18, 2026 1:33 PM CST

Michael Owen has criticised Manchester United’s recruitment approach, saying the Red Devils made a huge error by failing to sign Joao Pedro before his high-value move to Chelsea. The former United striker feels the Brazilian attacker has the kind of attributes the Old Trafford club have been missing for several seasons.

Owen regrets Man Utd’s missed chance

The former Manchester United and Liverpool forward has spoken glowingly about Pedro, insisting the Red Devils should have wrapped up a deal for the Brazilian long before he emerged as a leading figure at Stamford Bridge.

Pedro, who moved to Chelsea from Brighton in a £60m transfer just 12 months ago, produced an outstanding first season even as the club endured broader difficulties.

Speaking on The Good, The Bad & The Football podcast, Owen said: "I’m a huge Pedro fan, I think he’s unbelievable. In fact, Manchester United should have bought him about four years ago when he was at Watford. United had nobody up front for years and I thought, 'That Pedro', I love him. Him, Morgan Rogers and Cole Palmer as a front three… strange signings in Danny Welbeck and Jordan Henderson obviously."

Chelsea backed to thrive under Xabi Alonso

Alongside his praise for Pedro, Owen is highly upbeat about Chelsea’s chances under new manager Xabi Alonso. After finishing 10th last season, the Blues are beginning a fresh chapter without the added burden of European football.

Owen compared Alonso’s current challenge with his landmark achievement in the Bundesliga, where he turned an unfancied side into champions. The pundit said: "Chelsea. This could be way off the mark but they’ve got no Europe at all and you see how important that has been over the years. It was brilliant for Manchester United last year. This manager [Alonso] did something similar with an unfancied team in Germany [Bayer Leverkusen], he’s going to change a lot, they’ve bought well."

The rise of Pedro and the London rivalry

Pedro has made an instant impression at Chelsea, with the versatile forward scoring 20 goals in all competitions last term. He rapidly became the central figure in the Blues’ attack, regularly starting ahead of fellow summer signing Liam Delap.

On the possibility of Chelsea surprising the league, Owen accepted there are still weaknesses to address but remains confident about the team’s direction. He added: "There’s a big question mark over the goalkeeper, I hear that. But I just think that could catch fire that team. They’ve got no European football to concentrate on and there’s some good players there. I think Chelsea could have a big season."

Maintaining the ‘untouchable’ status

With seven years still left on his present contract, Pedro is viewed as one of the ‘untouchables’ within Chelsea’s hierarchy. The club’s quick dismissal of Arsenal’s interest, which was reportedly as high as €100m, underlines just how important he is to Alonso’s tactical plans.

Pedro has also previously drawn attention from European giants such as Barcelona, further supporting Owen’s view that Manchester United missed an opportunity by not moving earlier during the player’s development at Watford and Brighton.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK