Top News

60 Days of Hope Gone! US-Iran Ceasefire Ends: Is a Bigger War Coming After Failed Peace Deal?
Samira Vishwas | August 18, 2026 2:24 PM CST

Washington: The two-month ceasefire understanding between the United States and Iran has officially expired without achieving its key objectives. The memorandum of understanding (MoU), signed in June by US President Donald Trump and French President Emmanuel Macron, was aimed at restarting talks over Iran's nuclear program and reopening the Strait of Hormuz.

However, the agreement collapsed as both sides failed to move towards a broader settlement. The Strait of Hormuz remains largely closed, nuclear negotiations did not begin, and tensions between Washington and Tehran have intensified.

Trump Administration Rejects Iran's Demands

The Trump administration has distanced itself from several elements of the earlier memorandum, including proposals to Iran's economic recovery, oil sanctions relief and discussions involving Oman over the management of the strategic waterway.

Meanwhile, Tehran has continued seeking concessions from Washington, but the US has rejected those demands, keeping the possibility of further escalation alive.

Trump Warns Oman Over Iran Mediation Role

US President Donald Trump has also criticized Oman's role as a mediator between Washington and Tehran. Oman has historically helped facilitate diplomatic discussions between the two countries.

Trump warned that Oman should not interfere with US actions against Iran, increasing concerns over the future of regional diplomacy.

Iran War Enters Seventh Month

The conflict between the US, Israel and Iran has now entered its seventh month. The war began after major strikes on Iranian targets in February, with American officials initially suggesting the conflict could end within weeks.

Since then, thousands of targets have reportedly been hit, causing major damage to Iran's military infrastructure. The June MoU was seen as a possible path toward ending hostilities, but both sides now consider the agreement ineffective.

Trump Says He Is Not Rushing For New Deal

Despite the collapse of the agreement, Trump has said he is not in a hurry to reach a new settlement with Iran. His administration has announced plans for additional sanctions, while the US military continues maintaining pressure around the Strait of Hormuz.

Washington now faces several options, including increasing economic pressure, expanding military action or returning to negotiations. Analysts believe the future of the conflict will depend on whether both sides are willing to compromise.

 


READ NEXT
Cancel OK