Top News

FIFA chief operating officer Kevin Lamour leaves governing body after strong criticism of Gianni Infantino
Deepa Krishnaswamy | August 18, 2026 4:28 PM CST

Kevin Lamour, the FIFA official who criticised Gianni Infantino’s leadership and voted against the FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal, has left world football’s governing body.

The 46-year-old had been serving as chief operating officer, the role from which he told Associated Press on 31 July that FIFA staff had been “deceived” by Infantino over the plan.

A statement from the organisation said: “FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026.

“FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.

“No further comment will be made on the matter.”

Lamour had already acknowledged that this outcome was possible in his statement on 31 July, after first delivering a scathing attack on the FFE plan.

“It is the project of one person,” he said. “Not only must this project not go ahead … but the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions.”

His statement continued: “If that means I lose my job, then so be it,” his statement to AP added. “I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”

Lamour is also understood to have voted against the FFE plan at a meeting held the day before the World Cup final, on 18 July, according to a report by the New York Times.

FIFA secretary general Mattias Grafstrom informed staff by email that the chief operating officer would be leaving the governing body.

Sources said it was Grafstrom, rather than Infantino, who held the final discussion with Lamour. Senior figures in football were said to be surprised by that aspect, particularly as Lamour’s key statement had been so heavily focused on Infantino.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK