Top News

‘We need to do more’ - David Moyes calls for more Everton signings and responds to Jack Grealish speculation
Deepa Krishnaswamy | August 18, 2026 7:39 PM CST

David Moyes has spoken openly about Everton’s summer transfer activity, admitting the club still has “an awful lot more” to do before the transfer window closes. Although several new players have already been brought into the squad, the Toffees manager believes the group is still some way from being complete.

Moyes wants greater squad depth

Everton boss Moyes has ended his silence over the club’s recruitment plans, saying the current squad is still unfinished despite a busy opening to the summer. In his first major interview of the pre-season, the Scot was honest about the size of the challenge facing the Merseyside club as they aim to improve on last season’s 13th-place finish.

“We’re still needing quite a few players to add to the squad. I’d like to do more if possible, we need to see how the remaining few weeks go,” Moyes told Sky Sports in a candid assessment of the situation. With the deadline drawing closer, Everton are still targeting several more signings in order to meet the manager’s tactical needs.

Assessing Everton’s summer business so far

Everton have already spent heavily in this transfer window, with their outlay on new arrivals estimated at around £74m. That includes the permanent signings of Tyrique George and Merlin Rohl, both of whom had been on loan at the club last season.

They have also added Hayden Hackney, Christian Norgaard and Brennan Johnson, with the latter joining as part of a major swap deal that saw Dwight McNeil move the other way. Moyes said he was happy with those additions, while also accepting that some of the newcomers will need time to settle into their new environment.

Discussing the new recruits, the 63-year-old said: “I’m pleased with the players we’ve brought in. You have to remember that two of them were already here last year, so we’ve just made them permanent. I think it will take Hayden a little bit of time to adapt from the Championship to the Premier League, which quite often it does with players coming from the Championship.”

The search for a right-back

The right-back spot has remained a long-running concern for Everton, with Moyes having been eager to strengthen that position for more than a year. Even though he had identified it as a key priority as early as the winter transfer window, the club are still yet to find a long-term answer.

When asked which exact positions he now wants to strengthen, the former West Ham and Manchester United manager chose not to reveal too much, preferring not to give competing clubs any clues about Everton’s plans during the closing weeks of the market. “I’m not going to tell you. But we’re well aware of what’s required and we’re working hard to try and make it happen.”

Jack Grealish links and what comes next

One player who continues to be linked with a move back to Everton is Jack Grealish, who had a successful loan spell at the club during the 2025/26 season. The England international recently played for Manchester City in their Community Shield defeat to Arsenal, and Moyes was inevitably asked whether there was any chance of bringing the attacking midfielder back to Merseyside.

Moyes stayed guarded when Grealish’s name came up, refusing to fuel talk of a dramatic return. “No, not at the moment. It’s not for me to talk, Jack’s a player at Man City and I don’t think it’s right to talk about players at other clubs,” Moyes said.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK