Fabrizio Romano and Laurie Whitwell have both reported that Manchester United are looking to secure Bruno Fernandes on a new contract after Galatasaray made an approach for the attacking midfielder.
Fernandes had the chance to leave Manchester United for Al-Hilal last summer, when the Saudi club put forward a hugely lucrative offer for him to move to the Middle East. At that point, United were understood to be willing to consider a sale for the right fee, but Fernandes turned down Al-Hilal’s proposal in order to continue leading the project at Old Trafford.
The Portugal international’s current contract with United runs until June 2027 and also contains the option of an additional year. His deal had previously included a £57million release clause, but that clause has now expired.
The fact that United have not yet tied Fernandes down to a longer-term agreement has attracted interest from multiple clubs.
The Telegraph reported on Monday afternoon that Galatasaray have offered United €50m (£42.8m) for their captain. Galatasaray have also informed Fernandes that he could double his salary if he joins them.
However, the plan is for Fernandes to remain Michael Carrick’s key figure. Romano said that Manchester United offered Fernandes a new deal back in May and that discussions with his camp are still continuing.
He added that United are insisting on keeping Fernandes despite approaches from Galatasaray and other European clubs in June and July.
Whitwell, The Athletic’s Manchester United correspondent, also said that Bruno Fernandes is in contract talks with Manchester United amid a major Galatasaray proposal worth €20m per year.
He added that Fernandes, 31, wants to stay, that United insist he is not for sale, and that negotiations over a new deal are ongoing. His current terms run until 2027 with the option of a further year for the captain.
Fernandes believes he still has plenty left to offer in the Premier League, having broken the competition record for the most assists in a single season last term with 21 in 35 league appearances.
While Fernandes could consider a lucrative move later in his career, he wants at least a few more years competing at the highest level with United. The playmaker is also determined to help the club win more major trophies.
United would prefer to move on players such as Joshua Zirkzee and Toby Collyer in the closing weeks of the transfer window, having already sold the likes of Casemiro, Jadon Sancho and Tyrell Malacia to create room on the wage bill.
United are still in the market for a third central midfielder, as well as a left-back, a centre-half and a centre-forward.
They had also been targeting a left winger earlier in the transfer window, although Marcus Rashford has since been brought back into Carrick’s squad.
-
‘Should We Praise This Brutality?’ Rahul Hits Out At Rijiju Over Jantar Mantar Protest

-
'Century Of Sixes!': Delhi CM Rekha Gupta Praises Rishabh Pant After Historic Test Feat Against Sri Lanka

-
IND Vs SL 1st Test, Stumps Day 4: India Need 6 Wickets To Win After Sri Lanka Stumble To 84/4 In 372-Run Chase

-
National Sports Awards 2025: What Is The Cash Prize For Winning The Arjuna Award?

-
After Toxic, Kiara Advani To Team Up With Saif Ali Khan For Kanika Dhillon's Supernatural Thriller: Report
