Top News

Manchester City transfer update: Ancelotti confirms €100m World Cup star is edging closer to a move
Sameer Bhatia | August 19, 2026 8:23 AM CST

Ayyoub Bouaddi emerged as one of the standout breakthrough players at this summer's World Cup.

Manchester City have now been confirmed as making headway in pursuit of their next signing of the summer.

Midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi was among the breakout stars of this summer's World Cup, starting every Morocco match except one as they progressed to the quarter-finals.

The 18-year-old had made his senior international debut only in the weeks before the World Cup, following an impressive campaign with French club Lille, where he helped the side finish third in Ligue 1 and secure qualification for the Champions League.

Bouaddi's swift rise in senior football has drawn interest from clubs right across Europe, according to new head coach Davide Ancelotti, with Manchester City now appearing to be in pole position.

Carlo Ancelotti's son took charge at Lille earlier this summer after Bruno Genesio left for Marseille.

Bouaddi featured for only 45 minutes against Everton at Hill Dickinson Stadium on Saturday afternoon, leading French media to ask whether his game time had been managed because of a possible transfer.

A €100m (£85.5m) valuation has been mentioned as the figure that could complete the transfer.

Addressing the links with City, Ancelotti told Ouest France: "Of course, there are negotiations. Many clubs are interested in him."

Even so, Ancelotti made it clear that nothing has been finalised, adding: "He is a very, very good player and I hope he will stay with us.

"The season starts next week and I consider him a player at my disposal."

Explaining the reason for limiting Bouaddi's minutes on Merseyside, Ancelotti said: "He was physically ready to play and he did play 45 minutes - but that's only because I have to manage his playing time."

Lille will begin their season with an away trip to Angers on Sunday afternoon.

Meanwhile, Enzo Maresca's City are searching for a replacement for Rodri after agreeing a £65m fee with Barcelona.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK