Liverpool are aiming to end the transfer window on a positive note, but one major move will not be going through.
Liverpool's hopes of landing another big-money signing have now been dealt a blow.
The Reds have had a relatively quiet summer after spending well over £400 million last summer, and with players such as Bradley Barcola and Yankuba Minteh still under consideration, new Liverpool manager Andoni Iraola has assured supporters that fresh arrivals will come to Anfield.
However, the Basque coach will not be getting Crystal Palace midfielder Adam Wharton, and that has now been made clear.
So far this summer, only Victor Munoz and Jeremy Jacquet have joined Liverpool on permanent transfers, but while speaking to Reds legend Jamie Carragher in an interview with Sky Sports, Iraola said, “We'll definitely sign players”.
“Some deals you have to wait until the end,” the former Bournemouth manager said, before adding, “At the end, the important picture is the one we have on September 1, because we are still quite thin.”
The Reds have recently moved on academy graduate Curtis Jones, and CaughtOffside recently published an exclusive report stating that the 20-time champions of England were “targeting an ambitious move” for Palace playmaker Wharton as a replacement for his fellow England international.
But in comments relayed by transfer journalist Fabrizio Romano, new Palace manager Pierre Sage said that “it's not the moment” for Wharton to leave Selhurst Park.
“Adam can play at a big club but I think one year with us, one year with a new dynamic, will be good for him and we need him,” Sage said.
Wharton joined the Eagles from Blackburn Rovers in January 2024, after breaking into the senior side at his hometown club as a teenager and establishing himself as a regular in the Championship.
Since then, he has earned an England call-up and won four international caps, with many believing Wharton could become one of the country's most important midfielders over the next decade.
The 22-year-old has been linked this summer with Liverpool as well as both Manchester clubs, after being named Man of the Match in the Conference League final for Palace last season.
FourFourTwo understands that Palace regard Wharton as virtually unsellable this summer, with the Lancashire-born midfielder likely to command a £100m fee whenever he eventually leaves South London.
Wharton is valued at €70m, according to Transfermarkt. Liverpool face Newcastle United when Premier League action resumes this weekend.
-
No beard even after shaving, cheeks full of 'razor bump'! How to restore the beauty of the skin?

-
When is Putrada Ekadashi, 23rd or 24th August? Know the exact date, time and significance of Paran

-
Nauheed Cyrusi Makes No-Oven, No-Sugar Viral Banana Cake, Says “This Is Yum”

-
Amid the fall in Nifty this week, FIIs withdrew Rs 1,602 crore, domestic investors took the lead.

-
Will the tension between Xiaomi-Vivo-Oppo increase? India is bringing new indigenous smartphone brand
