Top News

Kyren Wilson claim dismissed by Stephen Hendry as snooker legend issues response
Daily mirror | February 19, 2026 10:39 AM CST

Stephen Hendry refuses to believe Kyren Wilson's claim that missing out on the Players Championship could be a positive for him. The 34-year-old will be unable to defend his crown at the 2026 Players Championship this week after failing to qualify.

That was due to Wilson’s 5-2 defeat to Xiao Guodong in the World Grand Prix last-32 earlier this month. The loss in Hong Kong saw the 2024 world champion drop outside the top-16 in the one-year ranking list, having needed to reach the semi-finals to secure his place at the Players Championship.

Despite winning the 2025 Players Championship and the Masters this season, Wilson's underwhelming ranking event performances have cost him his spot in Telford.

Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings

Despite the obvious disappointment and psychological blow of not taking part in the prestigious invitational tournament, where the winner will claim £150,000, Wilson insisted his absence could be a blessing disguise.

Speaking before his Hong Kong elimination, he suggested that failing to qualify for the Players Championship could be a blessing, even though it lowers his chances of reaching the Tour Championship - which he is currently scheduled to miss based on the one-year rankings, before the World Championship in Sheffield.

• Stephen Hendry had to message Steve Davies after what Kyren Wilson did in Masters final

• Stephen Hendry reveals utter shock at John Virgo's death after call from snooker legend

Wilson explained: "I always think in the New Year, how am I going to spend it? Am I going to go out to see my friends in China and do a few exhibitions, am I going to practice through it, am I going to relax? You target the Masters and then off the back of that you look towards the worlds.

"For me, I'm thinking right, I really want to be in the Players [Championship], I won't lie. If I'm not in it I'll be gutted. I then want to qualify for the Tour [Championship] and I know I can do that through the World Open and the Welsh Open. They're two big tournaments with big opportunities so ok it would suck to miss out on the Players and being defending champion I don't want to not even have a chance of defending the title, but Shaun [Murphy] did it last year.

"Shaun beat me in the final of the Tour Championship the year before and then didn't qualify to defend for it. But also the year I won the World Championship I had like three or four weeks off and I actually went on holiday and I was so fresh for the worlds. I think the worlds that have just gone I'd burnt myself out for the first round, so in my mind I'm thinking win-win situation. I want to be in the tournaments, if I'm not then I can go and have a break and go into the worlds hell for leather."

However, snooker icon Hendry disagreed with his comments on The Snooker Club podcast following Wilson's World Grand Prix exit, which resulted in him not qualifying for the Players Championship. When asked about Wilson’s earlier comments, Hendry replied: "Yeah, I’m not so sure. He said if he’s not in it he’d have a big break before Sheffield and come out fresher but I’m not buying that at all.

"I mean, the fact is he’s not going to be in a tournament he won last year." Reflecting on Wilson's potential absence from the Tour Championship later in the year, Hendry added: "The Tour Championship in Manchester is a big event before Sheffield… the top players will want to play in everything, all the top tournaments, in any sport. So I’m not convinced by that."

Wilson's fellow pro Chris Wakelin, also appearing on the podcast, then said: "The last time he didn’t qualify for the Tour Championship was the same year he didn’t qualify for the Players Championship and the Grand Prix, which was also the same year he won the World Championship."

Hendry continued: "He made that argument to us before he played in Hong Kong, that it could be a blessing in disguise and that he’d be fresh. But you still don’t want to be at home watching other players play on TV. I’m not buying that."

Steven Hallworth then chimed in by saying: "Especially when it’s actually your trophy as well. It’s going to kill him, it’s surely going to kill him [to see that] because he can’t keep his trophy, can he?" Hendry then added: "It may well work for him in terms of Sheffield but yeah, I don't believe you don't want to be in tournaments."

Following his defeat to Xiao, Wilson had said: "I struggled today and Xiao played very, very good. I was just trying to hang on to him. I feel bad for this tournament, to be honest. I think the Hong Kong World Grand Prix deserves to be better. Straight from Germany, it’s very, very difficult to arrive here on one or two days’ practice and sleep, and then try to perform in such a fantastic event."

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK!All the best sports news and much more on our dedicated Facebook page


READ NEXT
Cancel OK