Brighton and Hove Albion midfielder Carlos Baleba has opened up about how transfer speculation linking him with Manchester United impacted his performances during the opening half of the campaign. United targeted the Seagulls star last summer as they looked to bolster their midfield options.
Nevertheless, Brighton were reported to have placed a valuation of around £100million on Baleba, ultimately preventing United from pursuing a deal for the Cameroon international despite the intense speculation - and widespread reports that personal terms had already been agreed with the player. United remain in the market for midfield reinforcements, particularly following confirmation that Casemiro will leave the club when his contract at Old Trafford expires this summer.
Consequently, rumours linking Baleba with a switch to United are expected to resurface when the summer transfer window opens, though whether rival clubs will also enter the race for his signature is yet to be established. Baleba endured a tough first half of the season at Brighton, yet has featured in all but six Premier League fixtures this term, with those absences due to his involvement at the Africa Cup of Nations with Cameroon.
FOLLOW OUR MAN UTD FB PAGE!Latest United news and more on our dedicated Facebook page
• Man Utd player's actions 'spread like a virus' as Matheus Cunha agreement reached
• Man Utd star turns table on Ruben Amorim vs Michael Carrick debate - 'Very misleading'
With both the summer and January transfer windows now firmly behind him, Baleba has reflected on how the uncertainty surrounding his future took its toll. "I feel more relaxed now,” Baleba, 22, told Sky Sports. “The noise about me outside, I didn't understand.
“I didn't look on the websites. I'm more focused on me, myself and for my team-mates."
Brighton have endured a difficult campaign across all competitions so far this season, with the Seagulls in 14th place in the Premier League table and just seven points clear of the relegation zone. Despite the challenges, Baleba remains optimistic and is concentrating on enjoying the rest of the campaign.
MAKE THE MIRROR YOUR FIRST CHOICE! Click here to activateor add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings
"All my qualities, I need to improve on that,” Baleba said. “The most of the qualities I have is I need to enjoy more football, because when I play, I'm so serious that I want to do the right thing or to do the proper thing on the pitch."
It remains uncertain what United will have planned for the summer transfer window regarding potential midfield additions.
Baleba isn't the only midfielder to be linked with a move to Old Trafford over the past 12 months, with Nottingham Forest's Elliot Anderson, Newcastle's Sandro Tonali and Crystal Palace's Adam Wharton all having their names mentioned on the rumour mill.
Join our new MAN UTD WhatsApp communityand receive your daily dose of Manchester United content from Mirror Football. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.
-
Family-run UK ice cream company crashes into liquidation after 125 years

-
Family-run UK ice cream company crashes into liquidation after 125 years

-
£150 discount for eligible households who make phone call before next Friday

-
HMRC confirms 1.5m households can get free £1,200 boost - check if you're eligible

-
HMRC confirms 1.5m households can get free £1,200 boost - check if you're eligible
