Top News

Manchester United transfer news — Carrick provides update on signings after quiet transfer window
Samira Vishwas | August 21, 2026 3:24 AM CST

Michael Carrick believes Manchester United’s bid for the Premier League title could receive a boost from further additions, with the club reportedly interested in Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba.

Manchester United finished third last season after Carrick guided the side successfully as interim manager following Ruben Amorim’s dismissal. That result has raised expectations that the club could challenge for its first English league title since 2013.

Carrick’s permanently appointed side begin its Premier League campaign away to newly promoted Hull on Saturday. The manager expects United to add more players before the transfer window closes on September 1.

ALSO READ: Will Enzo Fernandez stay at Chelsea amid rumours of Manchester City transfer? Xabi Alonso reveals

“I just think we’re looking to strengthen the squad. We’re certainly working towards that and making the most of the situation that we have, trying to improve things,” he told reporters on Thursday.

“Certainly trying to make most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it. I think we’re in a good way to doing that so far.” Manchester United has already recruited Aston Villa midfielder Youri Tielemans, Chelsea midfielder Andrey Santos and Leeds goalkeeper Karl Darlow. However, the club’s limited activity since those deals has frustrated supporters.

Signing Cameroon international Baleba would represent a significant addition, while Manchester United are also reportedly seeking a new left-back. Although Carrick wants further reinforcements, he stressed that Manchester United must first concentrate on its opening fixtures against Hull and Ipswich before the transfer deadline.

The manager rejected suggestions that United should comfortably overcome its two promoted opponents.
“I think, first of all, for all of us who know this league, there’s no favourable start,” he said. “It’s a tough start, a newly-promoted team away from home is a tough, tough game.

“I’ve been involved in them in the past so I’m fully aware of what’s at stake, what’s coming at us on Saturday, what we’ve got to be ready for, so it’s not favourable. “I think it’s an easy thing to throw out there, but it’s pretty ridiculous and we’re certainly not taking it that way at all.”

ALSO READ: Konsa to Arsenal? Arteta gives transfer update for Gunners before Premier League opener

Tielemans and Santos could make their first competitive appearances for Manchester United at Hull. Mason Mount has returned to training after sitting out the club’s final two pre-season matches. However, another injury setback during his difficult spell at Old Trafford could prevent him from featuring this weekend.

“He has picked up a bit of a knock, there are no dramas. It is nothing major,” Carrick said. “Of course, he has missed some football over recent years, and he wants to be fit and wants to be in that full rhythm and wants stay fit, so we’re doing our best to help him do that. “He’s a top player. Mason will be back very, very soon. If not immediately.”

(With inputs from AFP)

Published on Aug 20, 2026


READ NEXT
Cancel OK