Top News

Joshua Zirkzee reportedly prefers Juventus as Serie A rivals Juventus and Napoli battle for him
Arjun Pillai | August 22, 2026 7:19 PM CST

Manchester United forward Joshua Zirkzee is reported to be leaning towards Juventus as the Italian side competes with Napoli for his signature, according to Area Napoli.

Zirkzee has found it difficult to nail down a regular first-team place at Old Trafford since arriving from Bologna two summers ago. Whether under Ruben Amorim’s 3-4-3 system or Michael Carrick’s 4-2-3-1 setup, he has often looked like a player being used in a role that does not fully suit him during much of his time at United so far.

The Italian outlet says United have become open to letting Zirkzee leave on loan with an option to buy included in the deal.

Even so, the report does not indicate that any agreement has yet been struck between the Red Devils, the player, or either of the clubs showing interest.

Juventus are looking to add reinforcements to the squad available to head coach Luciano Spalletti. As per the report, Giovanni Carnevali and Frederic Massara have identified central midfield and attack as the two main areas that need strengthening.

Franck Kessie is said to be the leading midfield target, while Zirkzee is reportedly being considered to improve the attacking department.

Before moving ahead with those proposed arrivals, however, the Turin club are said to need exits from their current squad.

Area Napoli names Jonathan David as one player who may need to depart before Juventus can make a serious attempt to sign Zirkzee.

As reported earlier, Juventus are not thought to be alone in the chase, with the report also identifying Massimiliano Allegri’s Napoli as another club interested in the striker.

Area Napoli states that Zirkzee wants to leave Manchester United and return to Serie A, although the report does not contain any direct quotes from the player.

The same report adds that the former Bologna forward would rather join Juventus than move to Napoli.

That preference could hand Juventus an edge if official talks begin.

United are said to be ready to discuss a temporary move that would include an option for the buying club to make the transfer permanent.

The report also acknowledges that there is still significant room for negotiation over whether that purchase clause could instead become an obligation, which would almost certainly be United’s preferred outcome. In fact, given the shortage of strikers at Old Trafford, they would almost certainly favour a permanent transfer immediately so they can raise funds to bring in a replacement back-up for Ben Sesko.

For now, Zirkzee’s future remains unsettled despite his reported preference for the Turin side.

Overall credibility: 6/10

Why?

✅ The fact that a Napoli-based outlet says Zirkzee prefers Juventus gives the report some added credibility

✅ Juventus appear to be the more logical fit for the trequartista

⚠️ The report comes from a small local source

⚠️ It has not yet been confirmed elsewhere

The report may well be correct in saying that Zirkzee prefers Juventus over Napoli, but any deal with either club is still far from being completed.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK