Trump Says Ed Martin to Leave Justice Department for Election- Legal Work/ TezzBuzz/ WASHINGTON/ J. Mansour/ President Donald Trump announced that Ed Martin is leaving the Justice Department to undertake outside legal work to future elections. Martin served as pardon attorney, interim U.S. attorney for Washington and leader of the DOJ’s Weaponization Working Group. The staunch Trump ally previously represented Jan. 6 defendants and promoted disputed claims about the 2020 presidential election.
Quick Look
- Trump announced Martin’s departure from the Justice Department.
- Martin will pursue outside legal work tied to midterm and presidential elections.
- He served as the Justice Department’s pardon attorney.
- Martin was interim U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia in 2025.
- Trump withdrew his nomination for the permanent position after Republican support weakened.
- Martin previously represented defendants charged in connection with Jan. 6.
- He also led the DOJ’s Weaponization Working Group.
- Martin was removed as head of that task force in February.
- Trump said Martin would help protect constitutional rights and election integrity.
- Martin responded: “Proud to serve. Fight Fight Fight.”
Deep Look
Ed Martin leaves the Justice Department
President Donald Trump announced Friday that Ed Martin, his controversial pardon attorney and longtime ally, is leaving the Justice Department to undertake outside legal work connected to upcoming midterm and presidential elections.
Trump praised Martin’s government service in a post on Truth Social.
Trump did not provide details about Martin’s new position, employer or the specific election- legal efforts he will undertake.
Martin responds to Trump’s announcement
Martin acknowledged his departure in a brief social media post Friday.
The phrase echoed language frequently used by Trump and his supporters.
A staunch Trump ally and conservative activist
Martin is a conservative lawyer and political activist from Missouri who has maintained close ties to Trump.
Before joining the administration, he represented defendants charged in connection with the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.
Martin also promoted conspiracy theories concerning the Capitol attack and the outcome of the 2020 presidential election.
His background and public statements made him a controversial choice for senior Justice Department positions after Trump returned to the White House.
Interim US attorney nomination collapses
Martin served as interim U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia at the beginning of Trump’s second term in 2025.
The position placed him in charge of one of the Justice Department’s most prominent federal prosecutor offices, which handles cases involving national security, public corruption and crimes committed in Washington.
Trump later nominated Martin to remain in the position permanently. However, the nomination encountered resistance after support among Senate Republicans weakened.
Trump withdrew Martin’s nomination in May 2025 before the Senate could confirm him.
Martin becomes pardon attorney
After withdrawing the nomination, Trump selected Martin to serve as the Justice Department’s pardon attorney.
The pardon attorney helps review applications for presidential clemency and provides recommendations to the president through the Justice Department.
Martin also led the department’s Weaponization Working Group, an initiative established to investigate allegations that federal law enforcement agencies had been improperly used against Trump and his political allies.
Removal from Weaponization Working Group
Martin used his position in the Weaponization Working Group to pursue matters involving people Trump considered political adversaries.
Critics characterized the task force as part of Trump’s campaign of retribution against perceived enemies.
Martin remained the Justice Department’s pardon attorney but was removed as head of the working group in February.
His departure now ends his latest period of federal service and moves him into an outside role expected to focus on election law and political litigation.
More on US News
-
How James Vowles Persuaded Both Sainz and Albon to Continue with Williams Despite the Team’s Difficult F1 Season

-
Alex Palou to Start the Freedom 250 from Pole, Hopes to Keep a Potentially Chaotic Race ‘A Bit Boring’

-
Lando Norris takes second 2026 pole before Dutch GP, stays the only driver ahead of Mercedes in qualifying

-
Which Place Is Known As The Butter Capital Of India?

-
IND vs SL: As soon as they win in Colombo, India will be in WTC, Australia will have to do this work
