Top News

Incest dad's disturbing texts after daughter killed herself
Reach Daily Express | May 21, 2026 12:39 PM CST

A man from Southern California entered a guilty plea to felony incest and further charges on Monday, facing a potential sentence of up to three years in prison following his 18 year old daughter having taken her own life.

Authorities disclosed that Stephen Vincent Chavez, 41, from Moorpark, admitted to taking advantage of his daughter's trust during an exceptionally vulnerable time. Makayla Renee Settles killed herself in December after being allegedly abused by Chavez, her biological father, in the wake of alcohol consumption at a family gathering, a court heard.

"Makayla placed her trust and well-being in the defendant's care, moving from North Carolina to California to start a new life with him," Deputy District Attorney Tessa McCarty stated.

"The defendant violated this trust and shattered the father-daughter relationship in an unimaginable way, conduct for which prison is the only appropriate sentence."

Settles moved to Ventura County from North Carolina in July 2025 to live with Chavez. Tragically, just two days after her arrival, she required hospitalisation following a suspected sexual assault, with forensic evidence confirming the presence of Chavez's DNA.

Her family confirmed that Settles died by taking her own life five months later.

Text message exchanges between her mother Carolina Sandoval and Chavez in the aftermath of Settles' death, which Sandoval provided to the New York Post, revealed Chavez blaming Sandoval for giving her "the rope."

"I gave her the rope when I gave her to you," Sandoval messaged Chavez. Following the alleged sexual assault, Chavez was arrested but later released after posting $250,000 bail.

Settles' relatives had expressed their frustration with the prosecution, as the district attorney's office had not made clear by last month whether it intended to proceed to a full jury trial.

While the office suggested it would continue with the prosecution, Settles' family was reportedly told that her death meant the case was without a living witness, making it difficult to push forward to a full trial.

Without Settles' testimony, doubt remained over whether DNA evidence alone would suffice to secure a conviction. "The D.A. was essentially saying, 'We don't know if we have a case because she's no longer here,'" Crystal Sandoval, her cousin, told FOX 11 last month.

"When she told me that, I immediately said, 'No, we're not going to let that slide,'" Sandoval added. Both the cousin and Settles' relatives vowed to keep up a constant presence at the Ventura courthouse to ensure the case moved forward.

Sandoval began posting on social media, where multiple videos concerning her cousin's death attracted attention and public outrage.

Chavez will remain remanded in custody ahead of his scheduled sentencing on 23rd June. In addition to a maximum three-year custodial sentence, he will be required to place himself on the sex offenders register for 20 years.


READ NEXT
Cancel OK